With Dynamics NAV 2017, Microsoft has increased your toolbox again, this time with wizards to guide you though setup. Appropriately, it’s called is the Assisted Setup.
This feature includes several wizards to help with migration of data and setup.
The following wizards are available with Assisted Setup:
- Migrate business data (includes migration from QuickBooks, PayPal Payments, etc.)
- Set up Cash Flow Forecast
- Setup approval workflows
- Setup a customer approval workflow
- Set up email
- Set up Email Logging
- Set up Outlook for Financials
- Set up reporting
- Set up an item approval workflow
- Set up Azure Active Directory
- Set up a payment approval workflow
- Set up a Dynamics CRM connection
- Set up Sales Tax
Here is an example of the use of Assisted Setup to setup Sales Tax:
Go to Departments > Administration > Application Setup > General > Assisted Setup.
Select ‘Set up Sales Tax’ and select ‘Start Setup’ from the Actions tab on the ribbon.
The wizard will pop up. Follow the prompts.
By default, NAV will create a ‘Default Tax Group’ of TAXABLE. Click ‘Next’.
Specify the G/L Accounts where tax should be posted for Sales and Purchases and click ‘Next’.
Enter the tax detail for City, County, and State and click ‘Next’.
This tax setup is for Mecklenburg County taxes for North Carolina so we give it a name to reflect the area.
Make selections for the places you want to copy the tax setup to and click ‘Finish’.
You will get pop-ups asking you to enter any filters, as relevant. If for instance, you select ‘To Locations:’ and click Finish, you get a box that pops up where you can filter to copy the Tax Area Code to only Locations in Mecklenburg County.
Here is a review of the results of our use of the wizard:
- Mecklenburg and NC are now ‘Tax Jurisdictions’.
- Sales and Purchase tax amounts will be posted to G/L Account 63400.
- Mecklenburg and NC will both be reported under ‘Report-to Jurisdiction’ NC.
- MECKLENBURG, NC now shows as a ‘Tax Area’
- If we click on ‘Edit’ in the ribbon, we can see that MECKLENBURG and NC make up the Tax Jurisdictions for the MECKLENBURG, NC Tax Area.
- Tax Details are setup and Items, G/L Accounts, and Resources with a ‘Tax Group Code’ of ‘TAXABLE’ for customers and vendors with ‘Tax Area Code’ MECKLENBURG NC will be charged 2.5% tax for Mecklenburg County and 4.75% tax for North Carolina.